The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
Northumberland
PJ Probate Splits Kecks Again !
36 messages
Select a forum:
(Manager blames 'poor material').

A quiet week - small slit in flysheet hem when I got back, easily patched, blue murder if a gust of wind had caught it. Keepers strimming the grass beside the butts, all over the valley. The sound of a distant two-stroke through the days. I say that if you want to see how Stonehenge was built then watch a drystone waller. But there's very few of them left now. I've been building a passing hole in my wall - but how much should I, rhetorically, charge for it? The same as for the rest of the wall!

Little megalithic activity. In the rain the R4 news had a report on the local Rock Art database. I spent many hours last summer making a map of the ten most accessible carved stones in the valley - then more hours communicating with the then project coordinator. There's perhaps thirty known carved stones here and the nitwit surveyor(s) found just one of them, which they classed as 'natural cupmarks'. Most of these stones are very eroded and pretty dull, it's true - there's nothing spectacular been found yet. One of the cupmarked rocks - Tot's Wogglestone - is, unusually, limestone and little eroded. That single rock, alone, makes this valley worth visiting.

A volunteer with a GPS box would be welcome to record its position accurately. Fortunately it's on land owned by a sympathetic farmer and is under Right To Roam agreement. Broadly it's at NY 6608 5032. Still no word from Tynedale Planning. What a bunch of coconuts! I've written to the Asst. County Arch. asking whether he'll view the Longpot Head stone circle - but I'm not holding my breath !!!

This topic is locked
Stoneshifter
Posted by Stoneshifter
3rd August 2008ce
09:30

In reply to:

Je Ne Regrette Pas Leanne (Stoneshifter)

Messages in this topic: