The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
Northumberland
Re: Me aidez? M'aidez? Mayday?
36 messages
Select a forum:
There's some road-building equipment being moved back up again. There's a little spur road that goes off toward some butts and maybe they intend to work on that. The existing track peters out and goes over a cist with remnants of the cairn. It's called Railton's Cleugh Cist, I think. The new road is four and a half metres wide, paced, and its embankment is up to two or three metres high in places. I got more photographs, on a dark evening, and managed to evade the keeper who didn't spot me till I was on my way back to camp. The pictures are at Jessops.

Last night the three gamekeeper's landrovers gathered on a fell across the valley from me - very unusual for a friday night - and parked up while the keepers sporadically shot rabbits. I couldn't sleep because of a bad toothache and interrupted a farm lad slitting my store tent with his grandad's penknife. He ran off in the gloom and I patched the damage this morning. As I was leaving the keeper came up the track and I told him what had happened (he doesn't understand the term 'blog'). I got a few threats, some verbal abuse and his photograph. I'll have to get in touch with the local police now, which is unfortunate. I expect further damage to basecamp before I return to it.

I looked at the Long Barrow at Herdley Bank, Coanwood, and took some pictures of it. It faces Proudy Hill in the SSW and that is possibly the alignment to the moonset at the southern maximum. It's an incredible view. The Kidney vetch began to flower just last week, in the railway cutting between Park Village and Featherstone stations. Today the first Common blue butterfly were on the wing, newly hatched, and only females (which are brown). A Full Moon and the Summer Solstice next week. I'm ahead with my great wall and should get some spare time with a camera next week - weather permitting!

This topic is locked
Stoneshifter
Posted by Stoneshifter
14th June 2008ce
17:02

In reply to:

Re: Me aidez? M'aidez? Mayday? (Stoneshifter)

Messages in this topic: