The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: granary followup
22 messages
Select a forum:
goffik wrote:
Haha! Very good! :)

I'm glad you didn't take offence... I was merely pointing out the fact that it would be more likely for people to put so much effort into building a place of religious significance than a granary!

I live near some Victorian flour mill, and magnificent though the flour mill may be (just a big old factory, really) the churches and cathedrals are FAR more impressive... The workmanship that went into them FAR outstrips that of the big old factory.

And what of the other thousands of stone sites worldwide? They seem to have been built to mark sun or moon rises or sets...

Anyway. Yes. I get the impression you're having a laugh anyway, so fair play to you! :)

G x

goofik

you are right. but, what i am saying here is that stonehenge was in every way a religious/astronomical site. it at the same time was a grain mill.
early agricultural cultures world wide had an almost religious association with grain and the progression of the agricultural seasons..

stonehenge is no different. the main alignments there are the main points of the celestial and farming year...... the fact that stonehnege may have been a grain mill at the end of its existance goes hand-in-hand with the religion of the time.

spelt wheat is planted in winter and harvested in mid summer.......if the people did go there for the wheat harvest, that would have put them at stonehenge at the summer solstice. two in one.

many sites here in america, chaco canyon, chahoka, moundville, ochota, serpent mound, eagle mound, and many others have celestial alignments for the seasons. the cultures were early agricultural also. native americans even have corn maiden stories and much yearly ceremony is associated with growing corn. here in appalachia, the corn woman was named selu. which means mother of corn.... she brought corn to the people......

it was no problem for a native person to walk great distances to a big summer tribal gathering and if he came home with some precious corn, all the better.........

this idea that neolithic people in britain could not carry or transport a few bags of grain home from stonehenge, is silly. for god sake , they moved great stones many miles to the site....

the idea that stonehenge may have been a humble mill is not a disgrace. it is a tremendous accomplishment that they created the first mechanical mill, a thousand years before any other culture.

true, in many places worldwide where the sun is honored by circles and stones, they may have been purely religious. but the granary at stonehenge was man's first step towards the mechanical age........is that not a source of pride for you british?

thanks for the good question. i hope i did not run on too long.
clyde

the stones and the grain are connected.
clyde

Reply | with quote
Posted by beatles
28th March 2008ce
21:53

In reply to:

Re: granary followup (goffik)

1 reply:

Re: granary followup (goffik)

Messages in this topic: