The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
granary followup
22 messages
Select a forum:
hi, i enjoyed our discussion and your kind comments about the theory,
http://www.granaryatstonehenge.org , the last time we spoke so i hve posted again to further the conversation.
i have reviewed your objections to the theory and would like to limit this thread to the two most often raised questions; why is there no milling wear on the top of the sarsen ring? and would the small model of the mill still work if enlarged to full size.

you can consult the website video for the basic mechanical design of the mill sails and i will provide the dimensions and weights for anyone who would like to do the math to prove (or disprove) that the full size stonehenge mill would function.

here is some data to begin with.
the mill would have had 30 sails. ( our model has 8)
the mill would have had 30 milling rollers. made of hardwood 4 feet long and 3 feet in diameter with a 6 inch hole from end to end for the wooden axle. for drag and friction calculations, the axle was shaped so that it only had loose contact with the roller hole at each end of the roller. this contact patch would have been 4 inches wide and 8 inches long at each end of the roller. it would have been loose, smooth, and greased. use a coefficient of friction for these values.
the total weight of the revolving carousel would have been 4 tons. ( you can calculate this yourself if you like. the pole construction was of rope and small poles not over 4 to 6 inches in dia.)

for convenience you can use 100 feet as the diameter of the carousel and the sarsen ring.

the post in the center of stonehenge did not move. a collar of loose fitting wood, rope, and leather spun freely on the post top. it would have been greased and the forces on it would have been split between vertical and horizontal . for the exact angle, use 40 feet as the height of the post and 50 feet as the radius of the circle.

the entire weight of the carousel rested on the sarsen ring and moved on the 30 rollers.

each sail was a triangle of 35-40 feet by 20 feet having an area of about 400 sq.ft. each. for calculations of weight use linen.

3 to 4 sails would have been under power at a time. use a wind speed of 10 to 20 mph to calculate force. wind direction is unimportant.

if you need anymore info to calculate the weight , force, and drag in the mill please use your own reasonable estimates.

please share your calculations whatever the outcome. the bottom line is would such a mill have turned in the wind.

respectfully , clyde

Reply | with quote
Posted by beatles
23rd March 2008ce
11:51

1 reply:

Re: granary followup (beatles)

Messages in this topic: