The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Langdale Axe Factory Forum Start a topic | Search
Langdale Axe Factory
Re: Cave O' Flakes
28 messages
Select a forum:
The scree obviously didn't originally extend as far down the fellside as it does now, and it's interesting to hear from Fitzcoraldo that only the top of the cave was originally visible. This could also have been due to scree-runners shifting the scree from the top towards the cave - now most material is in the bottom third of the scree run.
In my defence, Juamei, I didn't "run" the scree, but picked my way down it in a bit of a wimpish way, trying not to disturb too much, and kept well to the sides on the grass and solid rock where possible. The sign has now gone, but I'm sure that doesn't mean it's ok to go down. Recent footpath repairs have taken place by the National Trust at the top ridge, so it's surprising that they didn't replace the sign. The scree itself is very unstable, and wouldn't make a pleasant scree-run, not like it was in the past - but that's what caused the problems anyway.
I think a bit a careful treading is required if visiting it.
I suppose it's a bit similar to roping off Stonehenge - some agree some don't. It's all down to how sensible the individual is when on a site - those who don't treat it with care spoil it for everyone else.
Am I forgiven?
TE (;^>)

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
2nd September 2005ce
18:44

In reply to:

Re: Cave O' Flakes (juamei)

1 reply:

Re: Cave O' Flakes (juamei)

Messages in this topic: