The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Langdale Axe Factory Forum Start a topic | Search
Langdale Axe Factory
Re: Cave O' Flakes
28 messages
Select a forum:
I'm working from memory and so may not be 100% correct but I think the cave was thought to be contemporary with the axe production because of the flake scars on the walls and debris found on the excavated floor. This implies that the cave was worked using the same methods as the axes - stone hammers as opposed to metal tools.

There's a couple of photos in Bradley & Edmonds book that show the cave, one was taken by Clare Fell (I think) during her original survey in the late 40's the other was a photograph taken by Bradley. The Fell photo shows the top of the cave just poking up over the scree, the second photo shows the fully exposed cave. What the photos illustrate are the amount of material that has been disturbed/removed by scree runners and 'treasure seekers' during the intervening time. It's really quite disturbing to think of all of the material that has been lost over a relatively short period of time.

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
2nd September 2005ce
08:41

In reply to:

Cave O' Flakes (Hob)

2 replies:

Re: Cave O' Flakes (juamei)
Correction (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: