The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: what ever has happened to avebury?
122 messages
Select a forum:
>that Christians are the only people that meet and marry
no I'm not saying that but that there is No evidence that it ever happened inside Avebury.<

In your earlier post you say that >...by (my) assuming marriages and meetings took place inside Avebury you are placing Xtian ideologies on a pre Xtian culture.<

I really do not know what Christianity has to do with this discussion and I am not 'assuming' anything - I am simply advancing the hypothesis that Avebury was probably use for all sorts of functions including meetings and marriages and I am still waiting for you to provide evidence to the contrary.

>Just because there is an avenue of stones doesn't Mean that people Processed down it.<

The Avebury Avenue has not been mentioned in any of my posts - as far as I am concerned such an avenue is as enigmatic as a cursus.

>Merrymaking leaves a lot of mess and this hasn't been found inside Avebury.<

That is an assumption. Avebury has not been thoroughly excavated and there is no reason to believe that merrymaking would leave a lot of mess.

>The site has been metald etected to death and no significant hoards have ever turned up (reported or not).<

Avebury is a Neolithic site, worked flints or stones would not register on a metal detector.

>I know a pagan in Avebury who tells the tourists that on Mayday the ancients used to gather the women at the Cove and the men at the Obelix.<

I do not know what this has to do with my original hypothesis that Avebury was more than just a place of pilgrimage - perhaps you would care to elaborate.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
23rd July 2005ce
21:49

Messages in this topic: