The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
what ever has happened to avebury?
122 messages
Select a forum:
I was completely nonplussed by reading about Avebury in the post 'no topic'. It sounds like one of the last places I would want to be at the solstice. In fact, now I think of it, is it my imagination or has Avebury completely changed over the last few years? I first went there as a child almost twenty five years ago and although I have visited several times since, the last time it just felt like a totally different atmosphere. Maybe that's me. I remember it as a sleepy english village whose inhabitants didn't seem that aware of - or interested in - the stones. The pub was nice (owned, not managed I think). I slept over with a friend in the ditch. Nobody even noticed I think

Still, everything changes...

I like to do something special on the solstice but generally I prefer to visit the sites alone or with one or two others. Big communal parties, collective drumming, faux pagan ceremonies appeal as little as officialdom, information boards, tourist centres and pay-and-display car parks (you know its only a matter of time)

Still, each to his / her own...

When is the quietest time to go to Avebury?

Reply | with quote
tuesday
Posted by tuesday
20th July 2005ce
15:41

Messages in this topic: