The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: what ever has happened to avebury?
122 messages
Select a forum:
I see your point tuesday but must beg to differ. Better food and drink, accommodation and information at a large and important historical site like Avebury <i>are</i> important and do not just make the place merely more convenient. Personally I like a good pint and a chinwag at the Red Lion (and have enjoyed both of those over the years and met some interesting and well-informed folk in the process). A friend, who is a vegetarian, prefers a pot of Earl Grey and a piece of carrot cake at the Stones Restaurant. Both the pub and the restaurant are a welcome break for many after a full day walking round Avebury (and I don't just mean walking round the circle).

However, people don't have to use the pub or the restaurant if they don't want to; they don't have to go to Avebury by car and they don't need to read information boards or go into the two Avebury museums, the National Trust shop or the Henge Shop. For many people though doing these things is part of an enjoyable and educational day at an important historical site. For some it will be their first experience of a stone circle and may generate an interest to visit quieter and more remote sites (or even join an on-line site such as TMA where they can learn even more about megalithic structures and the people who visit them :-)

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
23rd July 2005ce
13:58

Messages in this topic: