The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Stukeley's 'Stonehenge'
66 messages
Select a forum:
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love old maps. I love old drawings. I love stone circles. I love old paper.

Oxford Stu has just allowed me to glimpse all these items rolled into one in the form of Gough's maps 229 and 231. This pair of astonishing volumes contains many of William Stukeley's ORIGINAL drawings, letters, sketches, plans and watercolours, and many of the engravings which were printed after his drawings. ASTONISHING!

(date 1720s)

THANK YOU stu! Thank you SO much.

Highlights include EVERTHING, but especially:
-the measured observations pertaining to moonrises around Stonehenge
-a beautiful ink drawing of the Rollrights (which he calls Rowldrich) showing the southern entrance (which has only just been re-exposed)
-two incredible drawn theories of how 'the Druids' raised the stones using LEVERS and wooden blocks (Goughs maps 229, page 37 and Gough's maps, page 11).
-(in the vaults) a coloured nautical chart of the Mediterranean from around 1500 which was GOBSMACKING.

I feel very lucky.

Wanna see MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J
xx

PS My blue and white flowery backpack contains nothing more than my ancient red umbrella, a rather bruised Braeburn apple, my wallet, my phone, a lipstick, my radio and some crumbs from yesterday's cheese sandwich.

Reply | with quote
Jane
Posted by Jane
30th June 2005ce
14:29

In reply to:

Re: Stukeley's 'Stonehenge' (oxford stu)

Messages in this topic: