The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ringlemere Farm Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Ringlemere Farm
Re: Wealthy metal-detectorist speaks his mind
29 messages
Select a forum:
It irked me that they were putting this price on it of ~ 300 grand. Really it's priceless isn't it, because it's one of only two ever discovered in this country. It's a fantastic thing. I liked how they showed how the goldworker made it corrugated. My point is, and you can shout me down, but if I just happened upon it I would either want to hug it to my chest and never let anyone see it, or I'd give it to a local museum so everyone could see it. Ok so a few grand would sort out a lot for me, like a house. But it's not really WORTH anything is it? It's kind of worthless and priceless at the same time. What am I getting at? I don't know. Just that while metal detectorists are paid ludicrous amounts for priceless treasures then they're going to carry on digging things up all over the place and ermm. I'm not being snobbish, I just think we should be more civilised than to trash ancient sites in the hope of finding *treasure* for the money. But the cup would probably not have been found without this attitude. and it's cool that we can see it now. Hmm.

(I'll shut up now)

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
24th September 2003ce
10:06

Messages in this topic: