The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ringlemere Farm Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Ringlemere Farm
no metal-detector
29 messages
Select a forum:
I went to the lecture on the Ringlemere Cup, at N U, during the Bronze Age conference last November. The archaeologist was full of praise for the metal detectorist then and I doubt his view has altered substantially now. The workmanship in the cup is phenomenal.

The stuff I find, circles, rows and barrows, are made of stone and earth so are not subject to Treasure Trove. I try and exact a Finder's Fee of between around ten and fifteen per cent from the 'new' owner. It's difficult and so far this has been in portable stones - I brought the first one to the town yesterday. (Six bus journeys with a hundredweight and a half boulder in a rucsac. It's carved on at least three of the faces).

The White Sultan was blasting away at the grouse - but about how much would a copper age mine and smelting site be worth ?

Reply | with quote
AtomicMutton
Posted by AtomicMutton
24th September 2003ce
08:19

1 reply:

Re: no metal-detector (Hob)

Messages in this topic: