Devil’s Quoits 15
Image by ginger tt
Devil’s Quoits

Quoits pix

Will all of you henge experts have a look at this
one, please? It gives an impression of how big the
site actually is.

RG was standing on the henge bank when he took
the photo. We (that`s me in the foreground,
looking in the opposite direction to everyone
else, as usual) are standing on the `berm`
between the bank and ditch.

When I first saw what had been done, my initial
reaction was "they`ve put the bank in the wrong
place!"

I`ve never seen such a large space inbetween
a henge bank and ditch. The archy called it a `berm,` but in my book a berm is a narrow path
between a ditch and rampart. This one`s as big as
Bermingham!

http://www.guilfin.net/gallery/?id=pxINET1298

baz

I must say that this did strike me as a little odd, but I am no henge expert. However, as the bank would have been made from the excavated earth from the ditch it seems very unlikely that the bank would have been that far from the fosse.

Here's what I think.....

You will either see this internal plateau bedecked with picnic tables and a hot dog stand

OR

They are planning to hold concerts and plays there and thus seat people around the edge inside and on the bank.

Just my initial cynical thoughts, you understand.

Did the archeaologist say there was evidence for such a huge area?