Devil’s Quoits 15
Image by Jane
Devil’s Quoits

Quoits pix

I must say that this did strike me as a little odd, but I am no henge expert. However, as the bank would have been made from the excavated earth from the ditch it seems very unlikely that the bank would have been that far from the fosse.

Here's what I think.....

You will either see this internal plateau bedecked with picnic tables and a hot dog stand

OR

They are planning to hold concerts and plays there and thus seat people around the edge inside and on the bank.

Just my initial cynical thoughts, you understand.

Did the archeaologist say there was evidence for such a huge area?

ooooh you cynical old get!! yes she did actually..the only thing that wasn't accurate was the height of the bank.. it probably would have been double what it actually is.. a neolithic bermingham.. now there's a thought! x

"processional", she reckoned

the Grimes excavation (1960) records "a shelving berm some 7.50m wide"

that's big

RG