High Bridestones 1
Image by Chris Collyer
High Bridestones

Calling fitzcoraldo

>> An artificial confection of something that was never there in nature is not what
>> attracts me to photography.

Any digital camera will give you exactly that unless you use RAW format. If your digital camera takes JPGs it processes them using software. But then you have to process the RAW file somehow .... you cant win.

For that matter no photograph developed without tweaks will give you something that is there in nature. As you know each brand of film captures light differently.

Playing with depth of field gives you something you'll never see with your eyes.

If you read what Morfe actually wrote you'll see he does so much work to try and get the image as close to what he could remember from being there. That wouldn't be the same as what you or I would have seen if we'd have been standing next to him when he took it.

Photographs are lies - no matter who takes them.

The difference is whose lies they are. Are they the lies of the camera software? The lies of the chemicals in the film? The carefully crafted lies created intentionally by someone in the [digital] darkroom?

I suppose I shouldn't poke my nose into a subject I know nothing about. But I do know I've been taking snappy snaps of buildings round here. I take them because I find something interesting about the building. When I get it back from Boots it obviously looks nothing like how I 'saw' it. But I'm then able to take the photo and do a drawing or painting from it, and recapture something about what it 'said' to me at the time. Some things I leave out, some things are exaggerated - to show how I saw it in my head, with whatever preconceptions I have with me. I don't think that's cheating? And photography's just another art, is it not? Nothing like that's objective. Even if you try to do a draftsman's version, or whatever, it's still presenting certain aspects of the scene and leaving out others. It all depends what you think's important.

~or am I missing your point. Perhaps this is just an argument about cameras.

Or the carefully crafted lies of someone in a chatroom ;-)

"If you read what Morfe actually wrote you'll see he does so much work to try and get the image as close to what he could remember from being there."

Thanks FW, I'm glad someone read it. Be nice if someone believed it too, but the shit has been flung and any further attempt to distance myself from PeterH's accusations will, well you know how it works.

*shudder*

Ye gods some people are plain nasty. Sorry to get so worked up, but I put years and much love into my work, literally, and get like it's a daughter of mine. ALong comes the local paedo to accuse her of 'asking for it', I swing wildly...

"For that matter no photograph developed without tweaks will give you something that is there in nature."

You can get lucky if you have the right eqp't tho.

Taking pictures of rocks for instance, sometimes with the correct light I can capture the exact texture and colour (to the average eye) of the rock in front of me, straight from the RAW file.

Example:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/25337

Without a grad filter you can see the sky is overexposed as I exposed correctly for the rock and lichen but the strong light in the sky makes it physically (as always) impossible at that angle to expose for both at once.

The rock/vegetation colours are spot-on straight from the camera, I was lucky is all.

One *could* bring the sky detail back in with some levels work (witchcraft) or even better, a double exposure overlay taken at the same time. Of course that would upset the trolls so we are left with 'no sky' but at least it is 'true' (read false).


Seriously speaking, I think one can capture elements of what is there (visually) in nature within a frame, but in order to calculate the exposure correctly for a whole field of vision, you need to use extra tools either pre-click or post click. No matter what PeterH says, you cannot get around a distorting wide-angle or an overexposed midday sky or backlight without using extra tools otherwise the result looks nothing like the original view.