This circle is in the north west corner of the Moyness crossroads. Sadly it is a disgrace as it is overgrown and almost invisible except for the remaining upright. Kerbs remain whilst others have have fallen.
Half an hour and this site would look brilliant. It looks like they have tried to make it a 'show site' with the information board, at a bus stop, they have failed miserably.
The Moyness Stone Circle has been dismantled, but it was unique in one respect. One of the boulders of which the circle was composed was said to have been a rocking stone or loggan, and according to traditionary belief was used as an ordeal stone for determining the innocence or guilt of a person accused of crime. If the stone rocked when the person was placed on it, guilt was established; if it remained unmoved, innocence was declared. Considerable sanctity, as may be supposed, attached to this tell-tale stone with its mysterious movements, but the school children of later times, with irreverent familiarity, were wont to play upon it.
From p3 of 'History of Nairnshire' by George Bain (1893).
The Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.
Mr Stuart, Secretary, stated that, in consequence of reports of the recent destruction of a remarkable Stone Circle near the old Castle of Moyness, in Nairnshire, belonging to Lord Cawdor, he had communicated with his Lordship's factor on the subject. From the answer of that gentleman, it appeared that the reports in question had been greatly exaggerated.
When the present line of road was made many years ago, it was carried through the circle, and many stones removed, but no recent encroachment on the circle [..] has taken place [..].
The supposed "rocking-stone" consisted of one of the upright pillars which had fallen over some smaller ones, leaving an end unsupported, and by jumping on this end a heavy man could just move it. The only change that has taken place on the circle for years, is the removal of this pillar for some purpose by the tenant's consent, but without the knowledge of the landlord or his factor, and orders have now been given to prevent any interference with the fragment of the circle still existing.
Mr Stuart remarked that it was agreeable to find so general an interest on this subject, as the supposed destruction of the circle had excited a feeling of indignation in all parts of the country.
From the Caledonian Mercury, Wed. April 16th, 1856.
A runied ring cairn by the roadside. The kerbstones ranged up to 2.9m in height, although most of the cairn material is gone. A single standing stone 4.5 feet tall remains, with possible fallen stones in the vegetation.