Description: Subcircular trivallate hilltop enclosure on a slight knoll on the lower NW spur of Baltinglass Hill with steep slopes to the W (overlooking the River Slaney) and gentler slopes to the N and E. The site is overlooked by 'Rathcoran' hillfort (WI027-026001-) c. 500m to the SE. The inner area (dims. c. 100m NW-SE; c. 75m NE-SW) is defined by an irregular stone bank, best preserved at the NE (Wth c. 4m), set along the perimeter of a largely natural scarp (H 0.5m). No indication of an entrance, external fosse or internal features. The middle rampart, composed of earth and stone (Wth c. 7m; H 1.7-2.5m) defines an area 170m NW-SE and 150m NE-SW and has an external fosse (Wth 3.5-5m; D 1m) and an outer bank (Wth 2m; H 1m), with a possible entrance (Wth 2m) at the N. The outermost rampart (Wth 6-7m; max. H 1m) (not shown on the 1907 OS 6-inch map) is also composed of earth and stone and is identifiable within the forestry on the E side and as a cropmark on the NW and S-SE sides (overall dims. c. 250m NW-SE; c. 250m NE-SW). (CUCAP, APA 45, AHK 55) (Price 1949, 143; OPW files)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Wicklow' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1997). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.