|This is a cairn which seems to have lost its way.
It's a Clyde Cairn in the heart of Hebridean Passage Grave territory. Probably not the only Clyde Cairn in the area admittedly but the one with the most positive identification.
Quite a lot to see here especially if the nearby standing stone at South Clettraval and the slightly further away Hebridean Passage Grave at Tigh Cloiche are included.
Clettraval consists of an unusually long five-compartment chamber facing E and a straight facade of fallen stones running N/S (best preserved in the S). An Iron Age wheel house, not very well preserved, has been built in the W end of the cairn. It was excavated in 1934 (see Link).
The views from here are splendid - even on a cloudy day. The cairn sits on he 100m contour and, to the S, are the low-lying Lochs Bhaghasaraidh and Steaphain.
Access is very easy. Drive up the metalled military road which runs E from the crossroads at NF718722 until you reach the first radio mast where there is parking. The cairn can be seen in the field opposite.
Visited 27 July 2004
Posted by greywether
29th September 2004ce
Edited 29th September 2004ce