|RCAHMS NMRS No. HY50SW 13 though it occupies a typical broch site shows no evidence of circularity and so is classified as a promontory fort. A member of the clergy excavated a 'domestic structure' on the top from 1929-31 and then built a 1m high square wall about it afterwards. There were two structures above one another, of which only the lower was certainly prehistoric. This lower chamber was D-shaped with a floor 2.6m below ground level (reached by steps) and walls 2m high. Its entrance and that of the modern protective wall are held in common at the west.
Posted by wideford
19th July 2004ce