|Airy Hill (1) NZ 6425 1675
Previous to 1966, when it was ploughed out, the Ordnance Survey records that this burial mound wads 13.5m from east to west and 10m from north to south.
It is now only visible as a slight swelling in the field.
The mound situated close to Airy Hill Farm was prominantly placed on a west facing slope at 215m O.D. It was opened by Atkinson who uncovered two cremations; one was accompanied by a few scraps of burnt flint, the other wasd unaccompanied, but was enclosed in a clay dome like structure.
Airy Hill (2) NZ 6443 1675
This is situated 200m west of the firdst, and is prominently sited on the south-west facing slope. The two mounds would have been intervisible.
This mound is of earth and stone construction, 12.5m in diameter and 0.6m high. A possible kerbstone was discovered on the fence line in 1975 and was found to bear 6 cups.
Atkinson's excavation yeilded no results.
Taken from "Bronze Age Burial Mounds in Cleveland"
Posted by fitzcoraldo
7th August 2003ce