Airy Hill (1) NZ 6425 1675
Previous to 1966, when it was ploughed out, the Ordnance Survey records that this burial mound wads 13.5m from east to west and 10m from north to south.
It is now only visible as a slight swelling in the field.
The mound situated close to Airy Hill Farm was prominantly placed on a west facing slope at 215m O.D. It was opened by Atkinson who uncovered two cremations; one was accompanied by a few scraps of burnt flint, the other wasd unaccompanied, but was enclosed in a clay dome like structure.
Airy Hill (2) NZ 6443 1675
This is situated 200m west of the firdst, and is prominently sited on the south-west facing slope. The two mounds would have been intervisible.
This mound is of earth and stone construction, 12.5m in diameter and 0.6m high. A possible kerbstone was discovered on the fence line in 1975 and was found to bear 6 cups.
Atkinson's excavation yeilded no results.
Taken from "Bronze Age Burial Mounds in Cleveland"
This flat-topped round barrow caps Airy Hill. It was originally surrounded by a kerb of stones, one of which had six cup marks. However, the stones have either been buried by slipped soil, or have been taken away. There are quite a few barrows that incorporate rock art in this area, along the North and East periphery of the North York Moors.
The rock art suggests that the barrow is from the late Neolithic, or the early Bronze age - and therefore earlier than many similar barrows on the Central moor. I wonder where the majority of 'ordinary' on-a-crag rock art is in this area?
The centre of the mound has a dent where it's been dug into in the past. At the south edge there is a hedge - beyond this the mound has been totally ploughed out. To the west there was another barrow (and there may have been more) but this has been ploughed out completely.
(information gleaned from EH's scheduled monuments record)