The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian


Artificial Mound


Translated as Friaochs carn, it was the inaugeration site of the O'Connor clan in Connaught.

From Wikipedia

It is a small mound about one and a half meters high that sinks slightly at the top and is covered on one side by a dressing of stone. Up until the mid-nineteenth century a proclamation stone stood nearby that featured two sunken footprints, the stone now resides at Clonalis House near Castlerea.

Regarding the inaugeration stone has this to say

When a portion was broken off the inauguration stone of the O'Conor kings at Carnfree (RO028-69001-) it was moved to the avenue of Cargin House near Tulsk c. 1840 by Daniel Kelly to prevent further damage by quarrying at the original site (Jones 1922-3). It has since been moved to the grounds of Clonalis House in the 1970s, although its authenticity is doubtful (FitzPatrick 2004, 113-5). Roughly rectangular limestone block (dims. of base 0.8m x 0.4m; H 0.45-0.55m) with a subrectangular upper surface (dims. 0.9m x 0.35-0.6m) which has an oval hollow (dims. 0.3 x 0.1m; D 0.7m) divided in two by a ridge at the base to represent a footprint.
bawn79 Posted by bawn79
26th August 2013ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment