|Brownlow is a bowl barrow sitting upon the crest of a spur in a field North of the B5053 road from Onecote to Warslow opposite Brownlow Farm to the South-West of the Staffordshire Moorlands village of Warslow. Just to the West of Brownlow Farm the road to Upper Elkstone village meets the B5053. A public footpath leads from this road North-Eastwards towards the site, the path runs parallel to the boundary wall of the field containing the barrow. Although the barrow is visible from this path its lower half is partially obscured by a small hillock between the barrow and the wall.
Brownlow is recorded in Bateman but was opened bya Mr. Manclarke on April 18th 1850, by the central pit method. This pit was dug down to a depth of 5ft where the undisturbed soil appeared to be strewn with charcoal, mixed with burnt bones from among which two pieces of flint were retrieved. (Source: Bateman, T. "Ten Years Diggings..." 1861. p245.)
Brownlow survives as an oval earthen mound with max. dimensions of 27m by 22.5m and up to 1.1m high. A shallow pit on top of the barrow is evidence of this antiquarian digging.
Brownlow is marked on OS Landranger 119 and OS Explorer OL24 by a Tumulus label and earthwork symbol.
Scheduled Ancient Monument No.=1008970. Scheduled as Brown Low bowl barrow. NMR = SK05 NE4, R.S.M. No. = 22412, S.M.R. No. = 00145.
Site visited= 17th April 2013.
Posted by BrownEdger
28th May 2013ce
Edited 24th August 2014ce