The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Stonehenge researchers may have found largest Neolithic site
27 messages
Select a forum:
carol27 wrote:
I don't really understand; if it's such an important discovery why don't they go ahead & do a full investigation? Is it to do with the cost, or landowners permission or something? It seems straightforward to me so I'm probably being naive & ignorant of procedure. What I mean is, that I just assumed that now they would just start a huge excavation.

Presumably it is not part of their remit. Surveying is one thing, excavating a totally different matter and subject to special permissions. It took forever to excavate for the stones in the 'missing' Beckhampton Avenue at Avebury and must be very frustrating for all those involved because until done it will remain speculation and another part of the ever continuing 'Stonehenge Story'. All good for business though :-)

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
9th September 2015ce
07:47

Messages in this topic: