The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Secret Britain
19 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
The South Walian in question spends pretty much all his free time in the Black Mountains. He's recently been recording ruined farmsteads in the valleys between the high ridges. Sounds like someone who's interested in the local heritage to me.

I have to say I absolutely detest the idea that people from one part of a country automatically dislike those from another part of it, just because of geography. Sure, some people are bigoted idiots who dislike other people purely because of where they come from. It's the reason why fucking UKIP get supporters, the kind of idiot crap that a minority of people genuinely believe. The same sort of crap the Tories play on with their politics of fear. Essentially it's racism, pure and simple.

But it doesn't accord with my own experience generally. Not everyone follows that kind of herd mentality nonsense. A lot of people are rational, and tolerant, and not so easily swayed into believing garbage like that.

There's an awful lot of history involved, unfortunately. Going back a long way. Nothing about bigotry or racism, but very much about geography. And it does accord with my experience. Very much so. In 25-odd years walking the South Walian hills my encounters with Welsh people have been minimal. That is not to say they have not been there. Just that the accents I've heard have tended to be English, Scottish, German, Dutch... discounting those upon trail bikes, the scourge of South Wales

My understanding is the Gwynedd princes assumed superiority over Wales since the fastness of Snowdonia accorded natural protection from Norman incursions.. and consequently they treated the Mid/South Walian leaders with contempt. Not a good idea, but there you are. Naturally this encouraged the southerners to seek deals with the Anglo Normans. Why not? When your boss treats you like shit, you seek others. Guess it developed from there. How could there be any 'Celtic' brotherhood when John's invasion of Scotland featured many Welsh mercenaries? Good with the long bow, apparently. That is rarely mentioned. Not politically correct. What we need is to understand, and then ultimately ditch these age old issues. Not relevant any more. I would have voted for Scottish and Welsh independence, given the chance. Make your own mistakes without the safety net of the English taxpayer. Become a true nation.

I do not like the Tories. However, with Milliband in charge - following Brown and the freeloading Blair - Labour are a shambles, a disgrace to the memory of Bevan. Farage sends a shiver down my spine and... can't recall the bloke from the Liberals.

As it happens I think

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
12th April 2015ce
23:26

In reply to:

Re: Secret Britain (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: