The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Stone circle etiquette
38 messages
Select a forum:
It's the bongos I can't bear! Seriously, we walked up the hill at the end of West Kennet Avenue today to watch glorious Silbury come in to view; passing a fine chap who was fiddling with what I thought was a Hawthorn tree but was informed was a Blackthorn tree. I asked what he was doing, only then noticing various ribbons; corn dollies; wicker hearts and even a fizzy drink can on the ground at his feet. I'm very new to the lure of these places (as I'm sure you can all tell), and hadn't seen a bedecked tree before. He told me that some of the ties around the tree could kill it and stunt it's growth, and that the materials used should be loosely looped around the branches so as to blow away easily, and that they should be biodegradable.
The feeling I get from Avebury, West Kennet & Silbury is peace, awe and being grounded in a place; like it's the right place to be; like it feeds something inside me! Oh dear I'm not very eloquent. Anyway I'm a newbie & I'm looking forward to experiencing more special places. We tried to visit Waylon Smithy the other day but the car exploded! Will try again tomorrow.

Reply | with quote
Posted by carol27
25th February 2015ce
23:05

In reply to:

Stone circle etiquette (ironstone)

1 reply:

Re: Stone circle etiquette (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: