The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Boscawen-Un Forum Start a topic | Search
Boscawen-Un
Re: axe carvings
44 messages
Select a forum:
I'm in no position to defend Barnatts or Herrings writing on Boscawen Un, but something to note within the passage I posted is the sentence beginning "When the circle itself was erected.."

If no further information were available about this site, the assertion that follows it would be impossible for either writer to prove or indeed for you to disprove and would be essentially meaningless.

However - The circle is reconstructed, which is why I was keen to know you which plan you were looking at. I wasn't quite prepared for the answer 'Google Earth". I personally don't know, but if Barnatt or Herring were writing on the basis of information gleaned from the 19th century excavations or plans/illustrations created on or before that date, they may well have a reasonable basis for that assertion.

Reply | with quote
Evergreen Dazed
Posted by Evergreen Dazed
8th September 2014ce
11:14

In reply to:

Re: axe carvings (Sanctuary)

1 reply:

Re: axe carvings (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: