The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: There is no place quite like it..
37 messages
Select a forum:
I was there yesterday and the new centre sits fairly comfortably in its landscape. It seems much smaller than the pictures would lead you to believe. Being in a slight hollow helps. The main parking is hidden behind trees. I was given a pass to drive along the A344 to the old visitor centre (a temporary measure I presume) to be met by a large gathering of Cotswold Druids who then paraded into the middle of the stones to hold their ceremonies. Goodness knows what the three coachloads of Japanese/Korean visitors thought of that!
The most striking change is of course the now isolation of the Heel Stone. With the road gone and the grass beginning to grow it seems to have grown in stature and importance.
The guides were unsure about where the fences are to be re-sited. Will you be able to park at, lets say, at Larkhill and walk to the stones without paying?
A Blue Badge friend of mine has raised an interesting question. He picks up cruse liner passengers from Southampton and does the usual tour SH/Bath/Windsor etc on a very tight schedule. With the new "Stonehenge Experience" taking much longer than before (two and a half hours rather than one ?) how is he going to manage it?
Jimit.

Reply | with quote
jimit
Posted by jimit
15th December 2013ce
11:05

Messages in this topic: