The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Nine Stones of Winterbourne Abbas Forum Start a topic | Search
35 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:

It doesn't change the fact that circularity was a feature of early and bigger monuments and the later smaller monuments despite being esier to set up were no more circular and very often deviated from the true circle .

That just doesn't work down here George although it may work elsewhere. Bodmin's large early circles of Stannon, Lowden and Fernacre are nowhere near circular and have definite straight sections compared to all the later smaller ones that haven't.

Roy , I'm aware of the shape of Stannon ,Fernacre and Louden .
I have explained why there are specific and general problems with the Bodmin monuments that makes extrapolation problematic and even drawing any conclusion about shape in relation to size locally from the limited data set .

I know you have George but I don't have to agree. I walk amongst these circles and can only speak for them not for all the other ones that I haven't. I'll leave it there now as I'm perfectly happy with my own experiences and conclusions as I'm sure you are with yours so hopefully we can agree to disagree. Cheers.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
15th November 2013ce
13:29

In reply to:

Re: Stone Not Circle (tiompan)

2 replies:

Re: Stone Not Circle (Evergreen Dazed)
Re: Stone Not Circle (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: