The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: A303 to go into a tunnel eventually?
88 messages
Select a forum:
There's lots in your post I agree with. It still makes me sad though.

A couple of things I will respond to (not because I disagree with what you've said):

Mustard wrote:
The local hardware shop has gone, the greengrocer has gone, the off-license has gone, the curtain shop has gone, Woolworths has gone.... so yes, a few things can still be sourced locally, but even then the price difference is prohibitive for families on a budget.

With the exception of Woolworths (which was an avoidable disaster caused by terrible business processes), the other facilities you mention have largely been lost as a direct result of car use, as people choose to go to out of town mega-shopping places rather than their high-street. I personally think this is still a reversible trend. My local row of shops still has all of those things (except maybe a curtain shop), and in a lot of cases the prices are competitive, the service is much better and you haven't had to pay for petrol and parking to get there. I think many people are seeing the death of the high street, especially in market towns some miles from anything bigger, as being a real loss that they would like to see undone. Go to somewhere like (random example) Ludlow and there is a thriving high street of mainly independent shops that are not necessarily trying to compete on purely price terms with the big retailers. They do so by providing something "extra", whether it's better service or bespoke produce, often locally sourced or manufactured.

Mustard wrote:
... and I should point out that I'm talking predominately about extra-urban car use here. Cutting down in cities is far more feasible...

So let's start there. If the amount of urban car use was significantly reduced, the amount of car use left, consisting of long journeys, rural necessity and LS pottering around the byways would be a fraction of what it now is. Which would be good, wouldn't it?

Sorry, this has strayed waaaay off topic now!

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
1st October 2013ce
17:25

Messages in this topic: