The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: A303 to go into a tunnel eventually?
88 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Do you believe such things couldn't be readily achieved?

I think they are entirely within practical reach, prevented only by a lack of willingness on the part of most people, who will not be prepared to fund something they don't want to use themselves, as long as alternatives remain available (i.e. cars).

I think you answered your own question. Although I'd dispute the degree to which they're within practical reach anyway, since the whole of western society is now structured around private personal transport. Not even a properly funded public transport system (of which I'm a huge fan) could possibly plug that gap.

Public transport is geared up to take the public to the main centres for work and shopping. Many of the private companies are backed by the big supermarkets to deliver those in the countryside to their door and then back to the customers. Public transport I doubt would ever consider megalithic sites outside of the likes of SH or Avebury as essential to our daily life unless they were passing the place. We have to accept that our hobby is really a minority one and only our own transport is going to get us there whether it be by car, bike or shanks' pony.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
1st October 2013ce
11:09

Messages in this topic: