The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: A303 to go into a tunnel eventually?
88 messages
Select a forum:
nix wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

Of course we’ve heard it all before but is this a sign that Stonehenge will one day get the (isolated) ambiance it so richly deserves - here’s hoping. Meanwhile, the noise-reduction coating to the A303 is good news as that (the traffic noise) really was a distraction to anyone who just wanted to sit on the grass and contemplate the monument.

Hi Littlestone.

Just thought I'd say that although I sympathise with that point of view, it isn't a distraction for me - well, not compared with the huge cost and impact of such a tunnel. We live in the modern world too and the closure of the road adjacent is such an improvement that I think it enough. I quite like the contrast between the two for many sites actually!

very best

N

I'm sat on the fence somewhat with this. Stonehenge is an ancient monument which has survived into modern times and without a doubt has become an iconic sight as one drives past on the A303 so for that reason I would leave it as it is although I fully understand LS's preferred isolation of it. My biggest objection would be the cost of a tunnel. I think Stonehenge has had enough money thrown at it and would rather like to see it spent on maintaining and researching many of our other ancient sites which year by year are slowly returning to nature because many are out of the public gaze.
Even with all the money spent on it, Stonehenge still seems to be as big a mystery as it ever was with a new idea one week then being dismissed the next and replaced by yet another and further reasons to raise more cash. When does it end?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
30th September 2013ce
09:36

Messages in this topic: