The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Merrivale Bridge Settlement Forum Start a topic | Search
Merrivale Bridge Settlement
Re: Some upright stones down by the River Walkham
14 messages
Select a forum:
Pilgrim wrote:
Lubin wrote:
Pilgrim wrote:
Pilgrim wrote:

I usually go to MAGIC, but the site defeats me. I can't get the countryside to stop still.

Peace

Pilgrim

X

I have managed MAGIC. This is a Tiny URL that should take you there:

http://tinyurl.com/kkvcrrf

The stones are between the river and the words "Merrivale Bridge". I see - something that makes me more convinced about these being remains of a row.... - that there is a 'W' symbol just along the bank... Stone rows and water/springs... I could bang my drum...

Peace

Pilgrim

X

I've just had a look at Jeremy Butler's Dartmoor Atlas of Antiquities volume two 'The North" and there is a settlement with a few huts in the position you say. There are three walls of the settlement running from the river up to the road and also two walls running parallel to the river. From the diagram in the Atlas it would seem that what you have seen is part of one of the walls but who knows.

Hi Lubin,

Bottom lefthand corner of Map 30? I can see the 3 red lines denoting the prehistoric field system, and the black one denoting an extant boundary (which you can see on the GE view here http://goo.gl/maps/03bro).

I note from Map 31 that there is a wall that runs parallel to the river, but
it's on the opposite bank (I appreciate however that these are hand-drawn lines so a bit of error may be entirely feasible..).

The GE view also shows - what appears to be - walls that are not marked on Map 31 in that area.

I guess only access will nail it. Ho hum.

Thanks for your knowledge and time.

Peace

Pilgrim

X

I am still waiting for a reply regarding access. I will keep you posted when I find out.

Reply | with quote
Lubin
Posted by Lubin
24th September 2013ce
23:13

Messages in this topic: