The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Merrivale Bridge Settlement Forum Start a topic | Search
Merrivale Bridge Settlement
Some upright stones down by the River Walkham
14 messages
Select a forum:
On Explorer OL 28, at about SX E55050 N75100 - no more than a 50 yards North of the old bridge over the Walkham at Merrivale - stand 2 and a bit stones. The 2 upright stones are poking out of the bracken, and the third - the nearest - is not.

These stones run (sounds exciting, but the three stones are maybe within 15 metres of each other) parallel to the course of the Walkham, a few metres up the east bank. The field in which they sit is barb-wire bound, and clearly signposted as Private Property.

Further up the slope, on the south side of the road, lie the well-known Plague Rows, and their attendant settlement, while to the north, further up the Walkham valley, lies the well-documented settlement of Little Mis Tor West (Butler, 1991. Dartmoor Atlas of Antiquities: Volume 2: The North).

It amy well be that my knowledge (or perception) of the relationship between stone rows, settlements and water in this part of the world has decieved me into posting this query. In which case, I apologise in advance.

I could post a photo, but I don't want to sully the relevant image gallery with doubtful stones. It may be that these stones are just stones - or part of some more modern attempt at animal husbandry.

Does anyone local have any ideas?

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Reply | with quote
Pilgrim
Posted by Pilgrim
22nd September 2013ce
22:14

Messages in this topic: