The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Merrivale Bridge Settlement Forum Start a topic | Search
Merrivale Bridge Settlement
Re: Some upright stones down by the River Walkham
14 messages
Select a forum:
Pilgrim wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
Suffice to say I haven't been where you're talking about. But I have been to Merrivale, and there are the very slight remains of tin workings along the stream there. So do you have to be careful if the stones are next to a stream? As they might be to do with something industrial, requiring the stream.

or not of course. But it's a thought to bear in mind perhaps.

Hi Rhiannon,

Thanks for your input. To be sure, there's all sorts around there. Hence my doubt (and subsequent request to ease my tortured understanding :) ).
Some of the mining is mapped here:

http://www.ancientmonuments.in[...]n-blowing-and-stamping-m/osmap

Helen Harris in 'The Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor' (1972, 2nd ed) makes reference to these blowing houses on the east bank, but these are further up the valley. The stones I saw are on the eastern bank of the Walkham, down by northern face of the old bridge. Interestingly (to me, anyway..) she notes that the stone for the 'new' Merrivale bridge came from Tor quarry (the big quarry behind the pub). Obvious, really...

I usually go to MAGIC, but the site defeats me. I can't get the countryside to stop still.

[EDIT] I have put th piccie up on the Merrivale Bridge Settlement page at http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]rivale_bridge_settlement.html#

Peace

Pilgrim

X

The Blowing Mill you have marked is the one surveyed and excavated over a six year period in the 90s by the D.T.R.G. There are two other mills, one an obvious Blowing Mill as it has a mould stone and trough in it, on the other side of the Walkham nearer to the bridge but not as near as the stones you have mentioned or photographed.

Reply | with quote
Lubin
Posted by Lubin
23rd September 2013ce
23:01

Messages in this topic: