The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Merrivale Bridge Settlement Forum Start a topic | Search
Merrivale Bridge Settlement
Re: Some upright stones down by the River Walkham
14 messages
Select a forum:
Pilgrim wrote:
Lubin wrote:

The field never used to be private and as far as I am aware still isn't but is owned by the same farmer who also owns Vixen Tor so she has most likely put signs up there as well. She did have the stiles removed a few years back but was under the impression they were put back as it is marked as access land on the map. The same farmer used to purposely put a bull on the same piece of land when there was an excavation going on further up the Walkham to stop people taking a short cut across it. I have been to these stones in the past and a little further up the hill is a very large recumbent stone which looks like it could quite easily have stood where it has fallen.

Hey Lubin,

I'm grateful for your knowledge. I was hoping your expertise would be invoked ;)

The signs on the north side of the bridge (before it disappears into that strange culvert/tunnel thing under the main Princetown - Tavistock road) are old and grey NT signs. However, the three-bar metal fence that runs over the bridge is replaced by barbed wire that cuts off access to that portion of the field.

If the land belongs to the Vixen Tor owner, I guess its as good as dead space now....

Peace

Pilgrim

X

I haven't been out there for a while but when I used to enter the field it was via a stile over the dry stone wall just opposite the small car park going down the hill from Princetown. I will see if I can contact a friend who will be more in the know about whether it is still access land and let you know.

Reply | with quote
Lubin
Posted by Lubin
23rd September 2013ce
16:30

Messages in this topic: