The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Road closure works
44 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
If you have to walk more than 50 yards from the car park, no one* will bother. At least, that's my repeated experience everywhere I've ever been - I'm guessing most people on this forum also find themselves alone with a tumbleweed as soon as they're out of earshot of the ice cream van, every time they go out? This year's classic example on Lindisfarne - horrifyingly massive carpark filling up, but literally 1 minute from the castle the island was completely desolate (in a good way) and me and Mr Rh saw like 2 other people during a couple of hours. So strolling types might get to Stonehenge eventually but Im pretty certain most people will be happy with a flyby view in the car, or otherwise get the landtrain.

* ie no one but me and 0.001% of everyone else

Yep, pretty much par for the course in my experience as well Rhiannon...and thankful for it in the main. Down here in Cornwall we get massive traffic Jams along the A30 from Bodmin Moor westwards. Until you get used to it your heart sinks imagining hundred of visitors heading for the same place you are. You pull off the A30 (say to visit the Trippet Stones) and you're in a world of nothingness with regard to visitors. I've spent many an hour there and most that do turn up park their cars within view of them, break out the sandwiches, let the dogs out for a pee and just sit there munching away before driving off! Suits me.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
6th September 2013ce
07:26

In reply to:

Re: Road closure works (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: