The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Belas Knap Forum Start a topic | Search
Belas Knap
Re: Swastikas at Belas Knap
24 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Went up to BK for the first time in three years today, in lovely spring sunshine. The vibe was rather spoiled by the fact the four swastikas (three in one chamber, one in another) had been daubed on the stones. The swastikas were dark, maybe charcoal (not paint) but didn't easily come off. Not there in ARC's photos from the autumn, so fairly recent.

Bit of a worrying thing to find, as well as very depressing. Wasn't there some kind of fascination with long barrows amongst the far right a few years ago? I seem to recall some fieldnotes from somewhere?

Worrying, perhaps.

However I always recall my mum saying my Grandmother (RIP) used to refer to Moseley as 'that silly bugger'... perhaps that says a lot as to why fascism didn't take off here? Prats dressing up in ridiculous uniforms waving flags maybe didn't endear themselves to East End London families raising five daughters?..... And how can you look at newsreels of Mussollini without laughing out loud? Mind you he gave Alexi Sayle so much material.

Laugh at them I say. Hitler (apparently) had kittens when we had the temerity to laugh at him after the debacle at Dunkirk. So let's laugh at the fools. Laugh at their 'oh so extreme' views. OK, put up the intellectual argument.... and I may well be convinced. But vandalisim simply means you have no case.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
6th April 2013ce
23:58

In reply to:

Swastikas at Belas Knap (thesweetcheat)

1 reply:

Re: Swastikas at Belas Knap (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: