The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Swallowhead Springs Forum Start a topic | Search
Swallowhead Springs
Re: Swallowhead Springs, Avebury
62 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Viewed from the air or a map, the Swallowhead Springs take the form of a Swallow's head, so that presumably is where the name came from...or does it? http://www.avebury-web.co.uk/avebury_map.html

If they were named prior to there being flight by aircraft or balloon then how did the name come about because you wouldn't gather it looked like a Swallow's head at ground level would you.

Thoughts?

I often find myself referring to the very first book I ever bought about Avebury - The Secrets of the Avebury Stones by Terence Meaden. His theory is that Swallowhead is phonetically similar to Suilohead and may come from the same root as the Goddess name Sul.

That seems more like an idea based on wishful thinking than etymology . Are there any examples in Celtic /Germanic languages with a change from oo - w ? Wherereas the Fergusson suggestion , old German swal, meaning swell or whirpool is not only more likely it 's at least etymologically sound .

Yes, I agree with you (and Rhiannon) I read your earlier post and responded to it after I made this one. There is a lot of personal and archaeologically unprovable theory in Terence Meaden's book but I remain rather fond of it. His knowledge of Avebury is without question.

Meaden is not to blame for the Sul idea ,Lawrence from this group is the culprit .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fellowship_of_Isis

I've been familiar with that group for some time although not a follower. There does seem to be a watery connection with Isis too as part of the Thames through Oxford is called the Isis. Its tempting to jump in without checking and say maybe there was a connection with ancient Egypt but I believe Silbury predates the pyramids and the ancient cult of Isis (who was a mother goddess) by millennia - please correct me on this if needs be Tiompan as I don't the precisel timeline to hand.

I've always understood Silbury to be contemporary with the building of the Great Pyramid at Giza June, but then dates are forever changing aren't they. Neil Oliver says so anyway in 'The Heart of the Hill' the TV doco filmed during Jim Leary's backfilling dig.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
8th December 2012ce
18:04

1 reply:

Re: Swallowhead Springs, Avebury (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: