The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   High Auchenlarie Forum Start a topic | Search
High Auchenlarie
Re: High Auchenlarie stone circle, Dumfries+Galloway
65 messages
Select a forum:
bladup wrote:
Brilliant work, great stuff, that place is listed as a stone circle though the others are not, and when you go to the actual spot your in for a shock because you'll clearly see the stone circle predates any wall, there's even a cairn on the perimeter, the 5 stones are in a circle, i don't think they even look like a triangle at all, but a 5p on the screen and you can see it's a circle not a triangle, i hope you will go take a look in person when you go in october, as like you said it's not exactly horrible up there, thanks for the work but i don't think the other examples show anything about this site, yes it clearly had a wall aimed at it in the past but how many places can you say that about, boscawen un down here used to have a wall going all the way though it and there's loads and loads of other examples as well, so the fact it once had a wall running at it also doesn't mean that much at all, i've been and it's as clear a stone circle as you can see, in stones and position, it's not a triangle at all, ignore the shadows and put a 5p on, it's a circle [ with the 1 stone outside from the wall], please go and have a look in october, take some photo's, put them on here and let everyone decide whether they think it's a stone circle or not, as there will be no problem putting it on here because it's listed in many archaeologist's corpuses of stone circles [ including both burl's and barnatt's ], thanks again for your time and effort, great stuff!

I've been there myself. Three times in the last six months. The two different curving arcs (which curve out the way rather like a ski jump on either side of the cairn) do not match up to form a circle. Placing a 5p on a computer screen does not allow you to see through the coin or allow for the banks and old dykes visible in the field. I think it is very easy for a person to state on a forum that a clearance cairn or five boulders predate a ruined field dyke merely from Google or from one visit where no turf or excavation was done by a suitably qualified archaeologist. It does not make it so on the ground. I've got plenty of photos, but I don't see the point of posting them up. I'd suggest the site is one of "disputed antiquity". There are dozens of field clearance cairns in the vicinity. But a lovely vantage point it is.
I'm with Canmore on this one.

This topic is locked
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
28th September 2012ce
08:29

Messages in this topic: