The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   High Auchenlarie Forum Start a topic | Search
High Auchenlarie
Re: High Auchenlarie stone circle, Dumfries+Galloway
65 messages
Select a forum:
bladup wrote:
Howburn Digger wrote:
I've spent a great deal of time in Galloway (it was my back door as a kid for holidays and it still remains so). I was there (and visited High Auchenlarie) thrice over the summer and spent a week at Gatehouse last October. I've a number of photos of the cairn but there seemed to be absolutely no discernable circle there at all. A lot of high-level field clearance for sure but I saw no circle. Some "stone settings" which probably are cairn kerb remnants (mibbe) and field dyke remnants (probably) jumbled around the area of a robbed cairn (though admittedly a rather nice one). Some of parts of those "stone settings" form two semi- portions-of-an-arc, but their geometry does not seem to relate to one another.
There is also a "new" circle/ stone setting nearby (1/2 km away) whose construction involved some movement of C&R stones/ boulders. I shall say nothing more of this.
I am back down at Gatehouse soon (for a week in mid-October) and I know the short distance along the hill from Lagganmullan to Auchenlarie very well. Some lovely recently found C&R panels and boulders strewn across the hillside. Many others submerged under turf, like this one from June 2012.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/108048.jpg

I'll take plenty of pics - but I'm with Canmore on this one. By the way Tiompan - if you are down that way it is worth your while politely popping by Kirkdale House for a polite gander at the rockery...

5 stones [5 foot +] in an arc of a circle, with cairn on the perimeter of circle [with clearance on it], plus 1 more stone just outside the circle, it is maybe misplaced, an outlier or the remains of a concentric circle, i know whats there as i've been [it's on the farm], and i've got photo's to prove it but have no one to prove it to [ i couldn't use scanner anyway ], you were definitely at a different place to me as if you'd been where i have you'd be saying yeah that's where i've been, if you know the area well you're in for a nice shock. You can clearly see the site [and stones] on google earth.

Tom Bullock's opinion of the site including a pic on his Stone circle CD (c 1990 )"There are several standing stones on the SE side of the cairn .They do not appear to have been in the form of a circle .In fact they are close to being two parallel rows . This is even clearer on GE where the three eastern stones are clearly in a line .

This topic is locked
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
27th September 2012ce
18:09

Messages in this topic: