The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   High Auchenlarie Forum Start a topic | Search
High Auchenlarie
Re: High Auchenlarie stone circle, Dumfries+Galloway
65 messages
Select a forum:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
How come nobody's even put this site on here? go on someone please do it! [the portal has it, but no photos], i have visited and have photos, it's just that i can't get to them yet [not since moving] and wouldn't know how to work a scanner anyway, it's a great stone circle [ with cairn ] and the stones are pointy and tall unlike the other circles around, eg Glenquicken, Torhousekie and Claughreid, it's more like the stones of cauldside burn, but bigger and better, if i remember right there's just over half the circle left, it's a lost treasure and just wondered if any TMA'ers lived in those parts, as it's a great place with everything else around anyway, that it's well worth a visit by anybody around that way, it's in books and is at NX539534 and seemed to me to be connected to Newton farm burial chamber nearer to the sea.

Probably of this assessment "As they now stand, the stones of the setting do not form any sensible pattern, and it is not certain that they are all in situ: two of the stones in the N row could have been cleared from the field. The stone setting is unlikely to be the remains of a stone circle, and there is hardly enough evidence to warrant the suggestion that the cairn is chambered: the remains may simply be of two converging field dykes, almost entirely robbed out. "

No i've been and it's a lot better than the description makes it sound, when i went i wasn't expecting much because of this description, but the standing stones are in a circle and it made me think the person who wrote the above description hadn't even been to the place, as what it says bares no relation to the treasure that's there, the only problem with the site is that the farmer has used the cairn for his field clearance, the standing stones are tall and are in a circle and it takes a good photo [ from a certain angle ] as my photos of the place are good [ the sun was setting ] but i can't get to them and the scanner is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure that whoever wrote the assessment had visited and knew what they were talking about . Earlier reports also show misgivings .
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/e[...]3759/details/high+auchenlarie/

Is that not one of the most confusing and mixed up reports you've ever read, and it really does now look like no one has actually been to the site, as it's clearly mix up after mix up that's written on the report, at the site you have 4 or 5 stones in an arc with cairn [ with clearence on it ], if i remember rightly one stone may just fall outside the perimeter though, now if you've got nothing else to add could you leave it because people see our names and don't even bother reading it, unless that's what you know and intend.

Because they don't agree with what you think is hardly reason to suggest that the recorders , including HD , didn't visit the site .
My intention was to explain to you why the site is not mentioned here , to consider that it was intended to stop peolple reading is as perverse as suggestining that the recorders did not visit .

You're wrong [it happens more than you seem to think] and won't admit it, you are like a little child, grow up and accept what i've seen, i am not a liar, but it looks like you are because it's liar's themselves who don't believe anybody else, please just leave it!!! and no way has people been to it if that's their description of the place, and if it was a plan by the farmer to keep people away, it worked as there's not that many places this impressive that isn't on here or on the portal, strange that isn't it? I did not start this thread to argue with you, yet again!!!

Just to throw a little grenade of calm into the mix, is it possible you lot are talking about two different sites?

This topic is locked
Posted by Mustard
27th September 2012ce
09:20

Messages in this topic: