The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   High Auchenlarie Forum Start a topic | Search
High Auchenlarie
Re: High Auchenlarie stone circle, Dumfries+Galloway
65 messages
Select a forum:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
How come nobody's even put this site on here? go on someone please do it! [the portal has it, but no photos], i have visited and have photos, it's just that i can't get to them yet [not since moving] and wouldn't know how to work a scanner anyway, it's a great stone circle [ with cairn ] and the stones are pointy and tall unlike the other circles around, eg Glenquicken, Torhousekie and Claughreid, it's more like the stones of cauldside burn, but bigger and better, if i remember right there's just over half the circle left, it's a lost treasure and just wondered if any TMA'ers lived in those parts, as it's a great place with everything else around anyway, that it's well worth a visit by anybody around that way, it's in books and is at NX539534 and seemed to me to be connected to Newton farm burial chamber nearer to the sea.

Probably of this assessment "As they now stand, the stones of the setting do not form any sensible pattern, and it is not certain that they are all in situ: two of the stones in the N row could have been cleared from the field. The stone setting is unlikely to be the remains of a stone circle, and there is hardly enough evidence to warrant the suggestion that the cairn is chambered: the remains may simply be of two converging field dykes, almost entirely robbed out. "

No i've been and it's a lot better than the description makes it sound, when i went i wasn't expecting much because of this description, but the standing stones are in a circle and it made me think the person who wrote the above description hadn't even been to the place, as what it says bares no relation to the treasure that's there, the only problem with the site is that the farmer has used the cairn for his field clearance, the standing stones are tall and are in a circle and it takes a good photo [ from a certain angle ] as my photos of the place are good [ the sun was setting ] but i can't get to them and the scanner is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure that whoever wrote the assessment had visited and knew what they were talking about . Earlier reports also show misgivings .
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/e[...]3759/details/high+auchenlarie/

No, no, no the description is NOT whats on site, it made me think that they had rang the farmer up [ in the past ] and asked him to describe what he has on his land, and because he didn't want visiters to it he told them a load of rubbish to keep people away, one bad description leads to another bad description [ you know that ], I HAVE BEEN and the description IS WRONG, please don't say that i was at the wrong place as you can't miss it, it looks to me that someone lazy couldn't [ years ago ] be bothered to even walk up the hill and even look for themselves, it has 4 or 5 stones in an arc of a circle [i say 4 or 5 because if i remember rightly one stone falls just outside the circle] and is a lost treasure and thanks for reminding me why it's a lost treasure, it's because the description of this great site makes it sound nothing and therefore not worth visiting, It sure is worth visiting though, a lost stone circle no less, i visited it years ago now and the place has stayed in my head just as much as the show sites around that area, it's a great site and well worth a visit for anyone that's around the area!

Three different assessments either side of your visit don't agree with yours .

This topic is locked
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
26th September 2012ce
19:32

Messages in this topic: