The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   High Auchenlarie Forum Start a topic | Search
High Auchenlarie
Re: High Auchenlarie stone circle, Dumfries+Galloway
65 messages
Select a forum:
Howburn Digger wrote:
I've spent a great deal of time in Galloway (it was my back door as a kid for holidays and it still remains so). I was there (and visited High Auchenlarie) thrice over the summer and spent a week at Gatehouse last October. I've a number of photos of the cairn but there seemed to be absolutely no discernable circle there at all. A lot of high-level field clearance for sure but I saw no circle. Some "stone settings" which probably are cairn kerb remnants (mibbe) and field dyke remnants (probably) jumbled around the area of a robbed cairn (though admittedly a rather nice one). Some of parts of those "stone settings" form two semi- portions-of-an-arc, but their geometry does not seem to relate to one another.
There is also a "new" circle/ stone setting nearby (1/2 km away) whose construction involved some movement of C&R stones/ boulders. I shall say nothing more of this.
I am back down at Gatehouse soon (for a week in mid-October) and I know the short distance along the hill from Lagganmullan to Auchenlarie very well. Some lovely recently found C&R panels and boulders strewn across the hillside. Many others submerged under turf, like this one from June 2012.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/108048.jpg

I'll take plenty of pics - but I'm with Canmore on this one. By the way Tiompan - if you are down that way it is worth your while politely popping by Kirkdale House for a polite gander at the rockery...

5 stones [5 foot +] in an arc of a circle, with cairn on the perimeter of circle [with clearance on it], plus 1 more stone just outside the circle, it is maybe misplaced, an outlier or the remains of a concentric circle, i know whats there as i've been [it's on the farm], and i've got photo's to prove it but have no one to prove it to [ i couldn't use scanner anyway ], you were definitely at a different place to me as if you'd been where i have you'd be saying yeah that's where i've been, if you know the area well you're in for a nice shock. You can clearly see the site [and stones] on google earth.

This topic is locked
bladup
Posted by bladup
26th September 2012ce
19:23

Messages in this topic: