The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill
80 messages
Select a forum:
GLADMAN wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
The Daily Mail.. Classic stuff. Can you imagine if it was around during the early BA?
"THE BEAKERS ARE INVADING"
;)

The Daily Mail really is the worst, is it not? So smug and self righteous without knowing a thing....perhaps the unforgivable combination.... thinking itself above the likes of The Sun and Star etc which at least know what they cater for.

My dad gets the Mail. I have to say I look through it for the sheer annoyance value.... to see what we have to fight against. Today, for example, there is a 'shock horror' feature concerning the Richard Montgomery, a munitions ship sunk in the Thames Estuary during WW2. Could blow up at any minute!!! Apparently. Despite having resided opposite my island for 60 odd years. The paper is a disgrace. Complete and utter disgrace.

Definitely. My Aunt, who was an intelligent woman, who went to grammar school in the 1920s, left her home in the sticks in the 1930s, worked as a nurse in Kilburn in London during the unimaginable poverty of the 30s, worked in London during the Blitz, worked as a nurse in a South London factory until she retired. When she retired back to the sticks in the 1980s, she started reading the Mail. As she got older and more house-bound it became her main source of news and boy did it distort her views. I used to stay with her and read it in disbelief while I was there. It's written in the most cynical terms, to deliberately stir up Home Counties indignation. What a nasty rag.

This topic is locked
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
30th August 2012ce
21:15

Messages in this topic: