The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill
80 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
Agreed with everything there and I would guess it's the same for everywhere. But places shouldn't go unsung and should be visited/photos taken, of course taking care not to damage them in any way. Eventually a lot of these places will vanish, on that subject how out of date is Canmore (same for their equivalents elsewhere), a lot of the sites simply don't exist any more. So sing away, and if you come up with a decent tune, send it to me!

Spot on Drew. As had been said on this forum plenty of times, TMA (and other sites like the Portal) has actually created a massive heritage record that the official bodies don't have the resource to produce. A lot of our posts aren't up to the kind of standards a professional archaeological assessment would require, but the point is that we are getting out there and recording the current state of preservation.

I love seeing posts for obscure out of the way sites. Drew, you've done wonders in terms of adding to TMA for your corner of Scotland, and many of the sites are precariously balanced in terms of their survival. I've really enjoyed Bladup's Cornwall pics this week, as loads of them are of seldom-visited places, off footpaths and not in the guidebooks (even the best, local guidebooks). These sites need attention and preservation. Gladman has made a number of impassioned pleas in other threads for the same degree of concern to be shown to the very real, daily threat the obscure sites face, yet time and again the topic of conversation is perceived threats to Silbury, Avebury and Stonehenge. I know they're vulnerable, but they're hardly unrepresented and any damage is very "public". Not so the trashed upland cairns, the ploughed barrows, the toppled stones in remote fields, the fly-tipped hilforts. Protecting, monitoring and educating about those "little" sites is as essential (to my mind, more essential) as concerns over the latest person to climb Silbury or build a house a few hundred yards from Avebury's banks.

Excellent post TSC

This topic is locked
Posted by Sanctuary
30th August 2012ce
19:02

In reply to:

Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: