The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill
80 messages
Select a forum:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
It's the little wooden steps provided to help you over the wire that make me chuckle. ;)

Doesn’t make me chuckle, any more than the hammers that were once given out at Stonehenge to take a bit of it home. Burn ‘em next time you see them and use the ash as some kind of tat offering.

I happen not to agree with people freely clambering all over the monument, I think any right minded person would understand the potential damage that could be caused if you multiply one persons desire to climb by thousands, especially given the hills recent history.
However.. some people will climb the hill, despite this. I honestly think that to maintain the atmosphere of the place we need to accept that it's going to happen and if you catch somebody doing it or read something on a forum, perhaps the best and only thing to be done is to try to persuade them not to do it again.

I know some here get very irate about this subject but really, what else can be done? Would you like to see some sort of fine imposed? It won't make any difference to somebody who is determined. It may put off the casual climber but how many in number are they?
A huge great horrible fence? Still won't stop it and just spoils it for everybody else.

I'm asking - What would you like to see done to fix this issue?

Bulldoze the hill flat. Nothing to climb then.

This topic is locked
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
29th August 2012ce
19:48

In reply to:

Re: When she stands on Silbury Hill (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: