The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Isle of Skye Forum Start a topic | Search
Isle of Skye
Re: Rock Carvings beside Loch Coruisk? NG478211
5 messages
Select a forum:
BigSweetie wrote:
I managed to find the magazine, but couldn't find an article, then checked the letters page and voilĂ !

I don't think it'll help you locate it unfortunately. It's a rather lengthy letter, waffling on a bit, but the important bits are:

"....we landed ashore close to the River Coruisk, on the Island of Skye. Our destination was the loch of the same name....It was voices across the water that first caught my attention, and prompted me to train my binoculars on the other side. Two people were trying to cross a fast-flowing stream. As I focused on them, and the surrounding area, I saw clearly and without any doubt, the figure of a man cut into what I took to be rock; he was lying along the water's edge, the face of a young, lean angular man with what looked like a crown on his head. To the left of his head (from the top of the crown) was an arrow, broad and coming to a sharp pencil point, then a female face, this face was not so clear perhaps because I was not directly opposite her. How did I know it was a female? I'm not sure now; I think it was a softness in the face, there were strands of hair flying around that face. I was also looking from an upright position, on figures lying sideways.

On the way home, I tried to rationalise what I had seen. Someone had been chiselling, or painting the rock face. Lots of people must have seen it or known about it. I would soon find out what it was. Was it Christ they were depicting? No one I have talked to so far has seen it. Has anyone?"

There's an address given. Probably better not to write it here, but I can pass it on via e-mail if you like (my address is andy at stravaiging dot com). It was 12 years ago, but she does seem to still be active in the area (eg this church newsletter).

Thanks fo rlooking this up Big S. Oh well.... wasn't expecting something like that. Would have been superb to have some cupmarked slab - hey, spirals, even? - located in somewhere as awesome as Coruisk. Seems rather odd that Canmore have it logged, though.

Not sure I could manage the very long walk in, so might have to try and take the boat from Elgol again one year.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
9th July 2012ce
19:51

Messages in this topic: