The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Goodaver Forum Start a topic | Search
Goodaver
Re: Goodaver Stone Circle
12 messages
Select a forum:
ocifant wrote:
Thanks Roy. Certainly Stannon and Fernacre it's possible to drive to within a couple of hundred yards of each. Louden I believe is a little further.

I still need to get to Altarnun Nine Stones, Goodaver and the Stripple Stones.

Thanks Alan. I'm planning to 'do' them on Thurdsay this coming week if the weather abates a tad!
If you fancy company when you do the Nine Stones and Goodaver just give me a shout okay as I'm only ten mins away from both starting points.

Now, some more information regarding walking in the Halvana Plantation and some spooky news on the circle itself.

I emailed the pix I took of the circle to a horse riding friend who rides over East Moor and she told me the following story. She met an old boy at the entrance of Halvana Plantation a few weeks back who says he was a woodsman there 40 years ago. She was taking her dog for a walk and he advised her not to let it loose or to wonder into the woods herself because of unmarked mineshafts. He explained that when the shaft were no longer needed, they imported large timbers from Norway and laid them across the top of the shafts about 10ft below ground level. They then back-filled the top with soil and planted trees over the top. As the years have gone by, the wood had rotted away and the trees and earth above have systematically fallen into the shafts...yikes! It goes undetected and animals and children have been known to fall in! So, I think the warning is quite clear..keep to the paths.

Now the spooky bit. He also told her to keep well away from the lower plantation in the summer because it was infested with vipers (adders)...wait for it....as were the stones that formed a circle because it was so wet there and a breeding ground (his very words she said)!

I was only told this today and as she was telling me a bell was sounding in my head. I quickly went through the pix I took on Thursday and look what I found.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1[...]authkey=Gv1sRgCIXtt93jroyF0AE#

Does that look like a serpents head to you, because it does to me...eye and all. Pure coincidence?

Cheers
Roy

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
28th April 2012ce
21:06

In reply to:

Re: Goodaver Stone Circle (ocifant)

1 reply:

Re: Goodaver Stone Circle (ocifant)

Messages in this topic: