The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury & the Marlborough Downs Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury & the Marlborough Downs
Re: House in Yatesbury, close to Avebury
31 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Was in Yatesbury on Saturday (en-route between Broad Hinton and Avebury), it's a lovely little village. Good luck with the advert Steve.

Thanks for that tsc, not sure if Steve comes on here very often but can't hurt to flag it up.
Your walk sounds great, Yatesbury is a bit out of the way from Broad Hinton but am certain the fields around the Winterbourne must have been flooded. I did a 'bus' walk about a month ago with my local Ramblers group - the leader took us via Broadtown and Cliffe Pypard. We encountered mud, mud and more mud - not to mention a dead sheep and electric fences across footpaths. Started just after 10.30am and limped into Avebury at 4.00pm having waded through water ankle deep to get across the last but one stile. Avebury never looked more peaceful and welcoming (just to finish the afternoon off nicely I almost got locked in the toilets). It was a wonderful walk overall though.

How's Steve's Avebury book coming along June, does he mention it?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
17th December 2012ce
21:48

Messages in this topic: